Good starter kits for kids. - Electronics Forums

Author Topic: Good starter kits for kids.  (Read 8848 times)

jdave

• I have a soldering iron and I'm not afraid to use it!
    • View Profile
Good starter kits for kids.
« on: April 11, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »
Hi everyone.   I've been tinkering with stuff professionally and casually all my life(I'm 59) and I'm happy to see my 13 year old grandson showing an interest in electronics and mechanics as well.  I'm looking for some advice on good beginner kits for a kid that age.  I don't live close enough to help him out with things like soldering or advanced techniques so I'm looking right now for very basic kits based either on breadboard or snap together type construction.  Right now I'm leaning towards Arduino or perhaps Lego.  He's had Lego kits and enjoyed them so that would be an extension of what he already is familiar with.   But they can make anything look wonderful online, I'd like to hear from folks who have had actual experience with products because reality is always different from the advertising.
      Also, my ten year old granddaughter has been determined since she was six that she's going to be an architect.  I realize it's a bit off topic but if anyone knows of any kits or software that would be good for her I'd be glad to hear about it as well. 
        Many thanks, and keep on tinkering.

Electronics Forums

Good starter kits for kids.
« on: April 11, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »