Recent Posts

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Electronics Repairs / Re: List of Seagate firmware terminal commands
« Last post by roni2743 on March 16, 2014, 04:52:34 AM »
I realize this topic is REALLY old, but it was relevant to me for Seagate issues and I imagine it still is to others as well. I've had a very hard time finding Seagate terminal commands. The other resource I've found is here:

http://www.itosaka.com/WordPress/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Seagate-Diagnostic-Command.pdf

It appears to be outdated, or at least more outdated than your list, but possibly more complete? I've been looking for a newer version for my Barracuda XT, but so far no luck. Maybe others will see this and add to it.
Help and Feedback / motion control for 3-phases BLDC motor with absolute encoder
« Last post by Ethan on March 10, 2014, 05:02:20 PM »
Hello,
I want to use Arduino to control a 3-phases BLDC motor with absolute encoder and I saw your BLDC control project which is no sensor. My question is could I use your circuit for powering and control my motor and use Arduino board to read the encoder directly?
Btw my motor is https://fmcc.faulhaber.com/details/overview/PGR_4436_13822/PGR_13822_13814/en/   
the encoder is https://fmcc.faulhaber.com/details/overview/PGR_19103_19701/PGR_19701_13802/en/

Thanks
Post your projects / Re: Laser Scanning Display Project
« Last post by ElectroNick on January 03, 2014, 09:51:22 PM »
Happy New Year to everyone following this thread!  :D

There has been some progress lately, thanks to the free time afforded by the holidays, so I decided to post an update.

I think I have found the best way to spin that HDD motor! The solution was there all along, I just put it off thinking that others may be easier to implement. The practice, however, showed that quite the opposite was the case. I decided to use the dedicated sensorless BLDC  controller chip that was right there on the PCB of one of the HDDs which I broke apart to get the motor. It was a slightly older, circa mid-late 90s Quantum (I think) HDD, and the IC  Philips TDA5143T was right on its controller PCB, free for the taking. I actually almost thrown it away, I'm glad I decided to look at the PCB second time before throwing it away.

TDA5143T (see attached photos) is a 20-pin SOIC IC. It is very easy to handle because SOIC, although surface mount, is still large enough of a footprint to easily use soldering iron on. I just happened to have a 20-pin SOIC-to-DIP adapter, so I guess you might want to get one if you are using TDA5143T - will make breadboarding easy.

It is very easy to control, only 4 external parts needed - the small ceramic or poly capacitors, value of which defines the RPM and the length of the spin-up period. It starts extremely reliably using its own built-in algorithm and works all the way down to approx 3.5V - important for me because I want to power the entire device from a 5V adapter. Using a 2.5" laptop HDD drive motor you can see on the picture draws about 150mA @ 5W - perhaps it could even be possible to power from USB?

So, anyway, now that I think I got the spinning part of the project done, I got encouraged and created myself yet another 3D model of the mirror holder, this time with surfaces at 1/10° to each other (0.25° surfaces created lines too far apart on the wall 10 feet away). As usual, the model is available from Shapeways here : https://www.shapeways.com/model/1605919

I will continue working on the project as soon as my new mirror holder arrives.

Motor Control / Re: Updated schematics for a BLDC motor controller
« Last post by paulosfjunior on January 03, 2014, 05:04:43 AM »
I honestly do not know why the motor running slowly, I have to go testing to see if it works.
Any new notice here.

thank you
« Last post by ElectroNick on December 31, 2013, 06:19:50 PM »
No, increasing voltage does not directly increase speed. Only if your motor is overloaded and is missing steps, then voltage increase may help. Otherwise the speed depends on how fast you change commutation of winding to go around full circle (the software does it 36 times per one revolution of the rotor)
« Last post by paulosfjunior on December 31, 2013, 05:46:57 PM »
I made a code to simulate the potentiometer 1024-1, to see if it can be, but is still running slowly.

I'll see if I can modify the code and make it almetar rotation, increasing the voltage increases the speed?
« Last post by ElectroNick on December 30, 2013, 11:45:53 PM »
Reduce that value my small increments (decrements?  ??? )  because you can make it so fast that the rotor cannot catch up with the speed of commutation simply because of the inertia. Find the value that makes it start reliably, then bring it down little by little ( this is where you would really want that potentiometer!)
« Last post by paulosfjunior on December 30, 2013, 11:42:44 PM »
I had tested the code and it was identified in line 47 which altered the speed, but reduced to virtually zero and continues running slowly

:-\
« Last post by ElectroNick on December 30, 2013, 11:36:31 PM »
The rotation speed is defined by this line in the code:

Code: [Select]
requestedStepDelay = potPinValue * stepDelay;
(Line 47)

If you change any part of this formula to make the resulting requestedStepDelay value smaller,  the motor will rotate faster.

The reason I used a potentiometer is because some of BLDC motors have a hard time starting and working straight at the desired speed, most of the time they need to have the speed ramped up (relatively) slow so that the rotor does not skip commutation steps. This code is so simple, there's no provision for ramping up the speed. So, I manually increased RPMs with the potentiometer when I needed it.  If you are looking to improve the code, implementing the gradual speed increase up to the desired speed is the first improvement it needs.
« Last post by paulosfjunior on December 30, 2013, 11:17:26 PM »
unable to start the engine, but it is very slow and do not want to use the potentiometer.

how do I increase the speed?

thank you
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
anything